The Edmondson Blog

Vauxhall Bridge

Vauxhall Bridge, over the River Thames in London, was completed in 1906, and opened on the 26th May that year by the Prince of Wales. It has eight statues commissioned to commemorate arts and sciences.

F. W. Pomeroy (1856-1924) created those on the upstream side. First, there’s Pottery, who holds a pot, of course. Meanwhile, Engineering holds a steam engine in her left hand and a hammer resting on an anvil in her right.

Architecture is next, holding a model of St Paul’s Cathedral in her left hand - the fact this model is about 2ft long indicates the scale of these statues. Finally, closest to the north-west bank is Agriculture, with a shepherd’s crook and a sheaf of corn.

The downstream-side sculptures are by Alfred Drury (1859 – 1944). His subjects are Education, Fine Art, Science and Local Government – surely the only statue of this subject in Britain?

The pick of these is Fine Art, who carries a palette and brushes and holds to her breast a small leafy branch bearing some fruit. In her other hand she holds a small nude statue.

0 Responses to “Vauxhall Bridge”

Post a Comment

© 2007 The Edmondson Blog